Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Fish Out of Water

I know a couple of things. I do. I believe in God, in Jesus and in Salvation. From 30 years of Bible study, that's pretty much all the truth I have.

I don't know how to connect with God. I don't know if he's listening. I don't know what he cares about - does he care about the small things? All things? I've heard preaching on both.

And that's the thing. After many years in Church and Shul, hearing opposing viewpoints on major scriptural passages and having studied the Bible, it's hard to know who or what to believe. Whose interpretation is correct? I'm not so arrogant as to choose my own interpretation as truth - but in the end, that's really all we have. We have what WE believe to be true We may be wrong. We may be right. But we can only believe what we believe.

So, here I am - and I doubt I'm alone - wandering through the desert of sand and mirages of mirrored faith, hiking through the mountains of solid trees who proclaim their branches reach the highest to Heaven, coughing and spitting up the various different projections, opinions,visions, instruction, demands, rabbit trails, lectures, admonishments, damnations. A fish out of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment