Thursday, October 7, 2010

Onward Christian Soliders!

I get several devotions by email as well as Miss Erin's great daily text message.  As a newly re-committed Christian the following scripture caught my eye:

You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
—2 Timothy 2:3

Does this mean that our Lord requires us to constantly suffer in order to follow him? No not at all I think. But what we do know is that Christians have always been persecuted.  And in that persecution we find strength.  

Fortunately for most of us we will never endure stoning nor being thrown to the lions as in olden days.  Even today many Christians in a number of nations find it illegal to practice their faith and can be thrown in jail or worse.  But for many of us here at least in the US we're more likely to face the criticism and derision of those we know who think that we're stupid or wacko and that's why we were Christians.

If walking with Jesus does however mean I'm stupid or wacko then bring it on baby.  If its worth living for God then it's worth dying in order to live this life - as many Christians have given their lives for their beliefs - and it is certainly worth some poor misguided soul calling me names.

Call me names if you must - because I will be soldiering on to glorify His.

No comments:

Post a Comment