Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Parable of the Lost Son

Luke 15: 11-31

Author's Note: Erin your humble blog owner here at Fish Out of Water was gracious enough to invite me to blog here with her.  I can say that I am more than honored and humbled as Erin, despite her youth, has decades of following our Savior and studying his word.  Myself I am so new in my relationship with Jesus I know I can't even come close to her level of knowledge and expertise.  That being said I hope I can share with you my experience as I begin this journey.  And I trust more than anything God will give me the words to share.

I grew up as a Christian.  Baptized as a baby.  Sunday School every week.  Vacation Bible School.  As a teen I sampled evangelical Christianity (even was baptized again at 14 this time through immersion), studied Seventh Day Adventism.  Went to some Jehovah Witness services.  Became an atheist.  Thought about converting to Judaism to win a girl named Rebecca.  And at 21 came back to God when I was slightly desperate in my life.

For a time I returned to my childhood church until it slid into oblivion for lack of willingness to do God's work.  But I still called out to God.  I prayed. I prayed for others.  I told others there was hope by following and trusting God.  But was I living a Christian life, really turning everything over to God and following the word? Not at all.

It came to me through the inspiration of three angels who had been placed in my life in different ways.  Each of these women however had a deep and inspired relationship with God, going back years and gently shared the word with me and modeled behavior as a Christian that proved to be an inspirational example.  One of them in particular challenged me and challenged hard as to my commitment to Christ.  Sure I believe in God. Sure I pray.  Of course I was saved.  But was I studying the word? Well, uh, I do have some bible verses on my cell phone.  Had I really surrendered everything to God? Sure, well, oh, no.

The only thing I knew to do was to jump into the Bible and go to church.  I signed up for devotional emails and text messages.  I've bought as many Christian books I can.  And Sunday evening, not even a week ago, when the Pastor called me the author I lept out of my seat and walked to the front of the room to give myself once again to Christ, made a public confession of my faith and join the Church.  I found a loving and sweet Christian family and felt home.

Jesus tells the story of the man with two sons, one of whom left the family for many years.  The other son stayed and remained devoted working the family farm.  When the missing son returned he was ashamed he had left and felt that he would not be worthy of his father's love.  His brother was resentful that he was getting any points for being the loyal son.  But the father was joyous and forgiving of the lost son. The father said his son "was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found."  Of course everyone should celebrate.

Many of us were lost and are found once again in Jesus Christ.  God our father forgives us for going away and is overjoyed when we return.  He will love us no matter what.  He will celebrate and be glad! Thank you God, I'm home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment