Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Riotous Self Will?

I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
John 5:30, KJV

At church tonight Pastor Louise said that she and her husband (also a pastor but another church) sit down every morning reading scripture together and the discuss it. I thought that was pretty cool because it reminds me of my mother and my late stepfather would do the same thing every morning spending time reading devotions, praying and meditating together. It's a nice sign of good Christian matehood I think.

Back to our story however, Pastor said the verse they read this morning is John 5:30 which is Jesus telling his apostles that when he judges, or makes a decision or takes some action based on what he has heard, seen, known, etc. it is indeed just or the right decision because it is not based on Jesus applying his own will to the matter but that of God's.

We are here to do just that, to do God's will; the very purpose of our being to glorify God not us. If the Messiah himself, who was perfect, can subjugate his will to God's, why can't we? Our opinions, our feelings, our plans and schemes, while God loves us for having them and has given us free will are meaningless. There is only one plan for us and that is that which God has declared for us. It's not written down anywhere so you have to seek it. That takes some intense work. But I can tell you once you begin to align your will with God's you too will discover that the decisions you make, the judgments you take will be the right ones.

Remember - God's will is the firewall against self-will run riot!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment