Friday, April 1, 2011

Mommy, how can I get to Heaven?

"Oh you can't get to Heaven... on roller skates..."


As a kid that was the one camp song that I dreaded. Why? Because it seemed to go on FOREVER and EVER and EVER and...

Anyways... I was thinking about this song today because my inquisitive son asked me how he could go to Heaven and visit with Jesus. He didn't want to stay there, mind you, he just wanted to pop in for a quick chat with God and come back home to Mommy and Daddy in time for dinner. This led to a great conversation about prayer and about Jesus being here with us so we don't have to physically go up to Heaven to talk to Him. It also led to the discussion of "being good isn't good enough" and that we must have Jesus in our hearts to be able to go to Heaven one day.

My son's heart has been completely opened to Jesus in the past couple of weeks. Just yesterday he asked me if Jesus lives inside Him. I asked him, "Did you ask Him to?" He said, "Not yet. But I want to. Mommy - will you help me ask Jesus if He'll come and live in my heart forever?" Fighting back the urge to dance around in circles shouting praises to God for this moment (and of course fighting back the happy tears) I said "of course!" and we prayed together. That was the absolute sweetest prayer I have ever shared with another human being. Ever. I have looked forward to that moment with each of my children, and was not surprised in the least by which one was the first to open himself to Jesus' love. This is the same child who for WEEKS was asking us questions about death, dying and Heaven. The same child who has been staying up past bedtime every night for the past week reading his Devotional Bible (THANK YOU Sheila Walsh & cousin April). He has been so excited that he can read now and doesn't have to wait for someone to read the Bible to him. This is also the same child who asked me a thousand times a day if he could do his "Jesus book" (a little boy's devotional activity book). He can't get enough of God, Jesus, the Bible, information about Heaven, etc. He is so open and excited. When I think of "childlike faith" from now on, I am going to picture these days Patrick is journeying through.

Do you have a childlike curiosity to learn as much as you can about Jesus?

Do you want to know how YOU can get to Heaven?

Do you want to sit and just have a chat with God?

You can. You can. And you can.

Open yourself up to Jesus. Read His word. Get to know Him. Spend time with Him. Talk to Him.

And please - be sure to get your passport. (Thank you Pastor Teddy) If you want to know what that means - go watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-xqPuOn5Qg

Now... about those roller skates... you KNOW you can't get to Heaven on roller skates... 'cause you'd just roll past those pearly gates...

No comments:

Post a Comment