Friday, March 18, 2011

Hanging On To The Hope I Have in God

written: April 2010

My story begins with a dream. I had a dream a few weeks ago that to this day I haven’t been able to shake. The day after I had this dream, I just HAD to tell someone, so I told my boys about it. I felt as though I had had a spiritual dream. I’ve heard stories of how God speaks to His children, through prophecy, an encouraging word from a brother and sister, God directly or through dreams. Considering how strong I felt after I woke up, I was certain it was God speaking to me.

My dream started with me getting a day off from work, for no reason at all. I was just told by management that I should take a day off. Who can resist that huh? So here I was, coming up with ideas on how to use this glorious free day of freedom!! Shopping, “me” time, movies, etc etc. The possibilities were endless!

Somehow, reason took over and I realized that I had business to take care of in downtown. For whatever purpose, I had to go down to the federal building, a trek I was not looking forward to. But onward I went, to take care of business. On my way down, I noticed that the sunshine was no longer visible in the midst of tall buildings. It was also cold and windy, and that really stayed with me, the quick change in weather.

While I was walking down a main road towards my destination, I heard shouts and screaming. Sounded almost like what in my dreams would be utter chaos. I then realized that people were running around like crazy; people screaming and crying and pointing. My eyes followed towards their pointing and saw a man on a corner, wearing a trench coat (how clichĂ© huh?), holding a young woman hostage while holding what appeared to be a rifle. He was yelling at people to get down or he would shoot. I can’t tell you what he was aiming for, his rifle was pointing all over the place with his poor hostage crying.

At this point I remember someone from the ground yelling at me to get down or else he was going to shoot at me. If you were standing, you were a target. I calmly told them that I had business to tend to and kept walking. Sure enough, seconds later the assailant started shouting in my direction, calling me filthy names and commanding me to get on the ground. I remember turning to look at him, making eye contact and returning to my walk up the stairs of this federal building. I wasn’t about to let him stop me. I have no idea where this boldness came from, but he was not at all too happy with me. He yelled at me (again with the ugly words) and asked me if I wanted to die. This time I didn’t give him the time of day and just kept walking and walking. In my dream, I made it inside the safety of the building where there was still chaos, but I was safe.

At first, I didn’t know what to think of this dream, other than my lack of sleep was playing with my mind. But after I kept revisiting it and replaying it in my mind over and over again, I quickly applied it to my walk with God. The weather may turn, it may get cold and windy, and I may be the only one standing; but if I have a goal to reach, I can’t let that stop me. The enemy will (not may but will) want me to fall short of reaching my goal, he will try to trip me up, will try to kill me (spiritually, emotionally, and even physically) but with God as my guide, I WILL make it to my appointed time and place where I am destined to be.

Isaiah 54:17 says: “Weapons made to attack you won't be successful; words spoken against you won't hurt at all. My servants, Jerusalem is yours! I, the LORD, promise to bless you with victory.”

No comments:

Post a Comment