Saturday, March 5, 2011

How BIG is God?



Lately it seems God has been moving in mighty ways in many lives, my own included. As I've watched His hand sweep obstacles out of the way, stop assaults in their tracks, push troubles aside, heal deep wounds, wipe tears and comfort those hurting beyond anyone's imagination - a thought occurred to me.

Often times we are overwhelmed at how God moves. There is no doubt in our mind that He HAS moved, but we are blown away at HOW. We struggle to grasp how He so perfectly puts the pieces of the puzzle together in seconds - when we've been trying for years to figure out that same small step. I have been awed and dumbstruck so many times at how perfect God's plan is when I've seen just tiny little glimpses of it. If we are THAT overwhelmed at seeing one sweep of His hand move NO WONDER we can't phathom how great He is. If ONE hand of His sweeping through our lives is beyond comprehension - HOW BIG is Our God?! I've seen miracles unfold by the power of His hand. If just one hand of God can do such immeasurable things, imagine HOW MUCH MORE He as a whole is capable of. It's mind-boggling to say the least. We can't conceive everything that He has in store for us (1 Cor 2:9). We can't imagine His all-knowing, all-powerful, all-presence... His majesty, His righteousness, His goodness, His grace, His mercy... His LOVE... His being all in all. It's beyond defintion.

If my God is capable of such incredible feats with one hand - WHY do I allow myself to doubt? Why do I allow myself to fear? Why do I continuously struggle with trust? Why don't I let myself just rest in His arms? Someone pointed out a simple concept that so many of us miss. If it isn't Truth, it's a lie. Therefore, doubts and fears are lies. They are sins. They are not of God. We are commanded to fear not (Is 43:1-2, Prov 3:25-26, Is 41:10,13, Matt 10:29-31, Luke 12:32, Deut 31:8, Heb 13:6). If we have been perfected in His love, there is no fear (1 John 4:18). The same God of the Bible - God of Abraham, Moses, Isaac, Jacob, Daniel, Matthew, Paul, Peter and all of the rest - is the SAME God today. The same God who moved mountains, calmed stormy seas, parted water, multiplied loaves and fish, and provided manna in the wilderness is the SAME God who is still working miracles today. He is the same yesterday, today and forever (Heb 13:8). Why do we find it so difficult to accept today? He is still God, still moving, still working and still caring for our every need. Why should we fear? He's still there and the battle has already been won.

There is a song that has been echoing through my soul since I first heard it yesterday. It's a new release from worship artist Jared Anderson. The lyrics blew me away - especially since it was a concept I was already discussing with our wonderful Father God. He IS the Great I AM. He is God Almighty. He is Holy. He is Worthy. King. Majesty. He is Powerful. EVERY knee shall bow in His presence. There is none besides Him. None. Not one. He IS. There aren't enough words in every language in human existence combined to describe Him. He deserves our praise just because He is. Whenever the lies of fear, doubt, mistrust, inferiority, death and other heartaches cross our paths, we need to stop and praise Him. He is the Truth. He is the Light. He can sweep one hand across our lives and wipe every single one of those lies out of our way. I asked a praise leader what he does on days he just doesn't feel like singing - when troubles of the world are pressing in and the last thing he wanted to do was sing praise and he thought for a second, half-laughed, half-smiled and said "I sing". It's so true. No matter what we are going through we can still sing praise. We can still glorify our Creator and our Father. He is greater than our troubles. As my children will tell you - God is bigger than the Boogie Man. :) You have the Mightiest of Mighty, the most Powerful of Powerful, the King of KINGS walking beside you and within you. Don't let the lies of satan trip you. Your God is bigger than that. Be bold, be brave, live fearlessly and live for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment